[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-4: Internet Exchange Point Definition

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:31:49 EDT 2024

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 21:41 Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

(clip)

3) I think Autonomous System should probably be capitalized, since we're
>> referring to a specific technical definition.
>>

> In that form "autonomous systems" should remain lowercase because it is a
> general term and not a proper noun.
>

> Corner case. Often in legal texts, terms which have a specific definition
> (usually spelled out elsewhere in the document, (e.g. a contract)) are
> capitalized even though they are not proper nouns.

Responding mainly since I enjoy document structure:

Its called defined term. Totally agree. AFAIK, theres no such defined term
in this policy which is limited to the section number? There an ASN acronym
definition in the header.  But ASN would be improper in this context.

I’m pleased we all seem to mainly agree and we’re refining form.

HTH,

-M<