[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jun 28 12:57:19 EDT 2024

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 11:26 AM Tyler O'Meara <arin at tyleromeara.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> If I may, why do you believe nibble alignment is important?

Nibble alignment is important because it significantly reduces operational
complexity. Reverse DNS delegations for IPv6 are made on nibble boundaries.
Also, humans are less likely to screw up when allocations are made on
nibble boundaries.

Furthermore, from a conservation perspective, a few /16 allocations pose
little difference compared to a slightly larger number of /20 allocations.
Also, all the RIR allocations above /24 make little difference from a
conservation perspective compared to the more significant number of
allocations between /32 and /24.

I recognize that /16 allocations offend some people's sensibilities; I can
respect that, and they should support this policy. However, in my opinion,
a policy change is not warranted, especially by a single /16 allocation
being made in a decade.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952