[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 27 19:17:08 EDT 2024

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 5:04 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 2:46 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> >  As I said, the current policy seems to be functioning as intended.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I can't prove a negative, so let me turn the question around on you:
> we know a /16 has been allocated. We can't know how they justified it
> because that information is private. Can you produce a -notional-
> justification for a /16 that we all agree is -reasonable-? If you
> cannot, then what purpose is served by allowing such consumptive
> registrations?

The current policy has been in effect since ARIN-2011-3 was implemented in
January 2012. One /16 allocated in over a decade doesn't represent a
problem. Instead, it indicates a successful policy that balances the need
for justification with the ability to provide substantial allocations. The
data provided in the proposal doesn't demonstrate a problem. If we see a
rash of /16 allocations, I might change my mind, but until then, I don't
support a change at this time.

1 16
8 20
22 22
39 24

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952