[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 27 17:18:51 EDT 2024

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 4:03 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 1:42 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> > 6RD is a red herring, ARIN-2010-2 capped justifications for transition
> technology (6RD) at /24, in 6.5.3.1.
> >
> > 6.5.3.1. Subsequent Allocations for Transition
> > Justification for the subsequent subnet size will be based
> > on the plan and technology provided with a /24 being the
> > maximum allowed for a transition technology.
>
> Hi David,
>
> A) 6rd is not necessarily a transitional technology. Certainly the
> NRPM does not define it so. If I say my use is permanent, what basis
> would ARIN staff have to disagree?
>
> B) The concern expressed in the policy proposal was for *initial*
> justifications. Even if ARIN determined that 6rd could account only
> for a /24 of efficient use for a *subsequent* allocation, the
> addresses would already be gone in the initial allocation which places
> no such constraint.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

That is the wording the community wanted at the time. We didn't want to
limit the policy to just 6RD, and at the time, the providers who wanted 6RD
already had allocations.

Nevertheless, I don't believe ARIN would approve a /16 or a /20 for a
justification as trivial as 6RD, so it is still a red herring.

To qualify for a /16 or /20, you must show your need using section
6.5.2.1—Size, and 6RD wouldn't qualify, at least not in my opinion.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952