[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 27 16:53:30 EDT 2024

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 1:42 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> 6RD is a red herring, ARIN-2010-2 capped justifications for transition technology (6RD) at /24, in 6.5.3.1.
>
> 6.5.3.1. Subsequent Allocations for Transition
> Justification for the subsequent subnet size will be based
> on the plan and technology provided with a /24 being the
> maximum allowed for a transition technology.

Hi David,

A) 6rd is not necessarily a transitional technology. Certainly the
NRPM does not define it so. If I say my use is permanent, what basis
would ARIN staff have to disagree?

B) The concern expressed in the policy proposal was for *initial*
justifications. Even if ARIN determined that 6rd could account only
for a /24 of efficient use for a *subsequent* allocation, the
addresses would already be gone in the initial allocation which places
no such constraint.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--