[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 09:55:00 EDT 2024

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 2:15 PM Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is this policy needed if "only a single IPv6 allocation exceeds a /20 in size"?

Hi Scott,

I'd rather have an easy time justifying the IPv6 addresses I need and
a hard ceiling if I request a truly unreasonable amount, than a hard
time justifying the addresses I need. Which path would you like us to
walk?

Folks seeking a /16 are doing it with paperwork tigers. They haven't
made any attempt at efficient use and we shouldn't be helping them in
that failure.

I support the proposed policy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin