[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8: Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Tue Jun 25 18:45:03 EDT 2024

On 6/25/24 14:15, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Why is this policy needed if "only a single IPv6 allocation exceeds a
> /20 in size"?
>
> If we're about 10 years into serious use of IPv6, and have used one /16,
> then we have about 80,000 years before this becomes an urgent issue for
> ARIN, and 650,000 years before we'll run out. Yes, those extrapolations
> are dumb, but so is arguing over how many millennia of runway we have.

Meanwhile, in the 1970s: "You've got to be kidding! The sun will run out
of hydrogen long before we will ever come close to having a need for
four billion of these."

https://uclaconnectionlab.org/site/assets/uploads/2020/10/01-imp-1024x650.jpg

--
Jay Hennigan  |  jay at impulse.net  |  CCIE #7880  |  WB6RDV
Chief Network Architect  |  Impulse Advanced Communications