[arin-ppml] ARIN-2023-8 - Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 21 15:43:57 EDT 2024

> On Jun 21, 2024, at 06:18, Mike Burns via ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The wait list is three years long and the justifications are two year projections.
> The waitlist is not functioning adequately unless we consider a current needs-test to be worthless.
> There is a fundamental issue with needs-testing here.
> Does it matter if the needs-tests are accurate at the time of allocation?

The wait list was always expected to be long duration and get longer. That’s working as intended. IPv4 is scarce and getting more so.

That is the expected situation.

There are no surprises here to anyone who was paying any attention.

> I believe need-testing (expensive) transfers are unnecessary and RIPE’s lengthy, broad and deep transfer experiences demonstrates this.
> We’ve witnessed 10 years without a needs test at the RIR that does the most transfers, and where is the problem?

I’m not here to debate the problems with how RIPE-NCC does things, but I will say that they are, in fact, numerous. I will admit that many of them do not relate to the lack of needs testing, but some do.

> Leaving that aside, I think our current predicament needs to change.
> It is unseemly that we are applying out-of-date needs tests while maintaining the requirement for them.
> That’s the very picture of brainless bureaucracy.

I wouldn’t oppose policy that required those on the waitlist to renew their qualification on an annual or biennial basis, thus eliminating your concern about the needs test being out of date.

> In general, I don’t support any market-distorting elements like “free addresses” impacting the maturing transfer market.

I’m willing to bet that this perspective is more common among brokers than among those on the waitlist.

> I will be relieved when all the free address pools are completely drained everywhere.

I will be relieved when we finally have IPv6 everywhere and IPv4 becomes optional.

> There will always be dribbles of returned or revoked addresses. They don’t have to go into a free pool.

Nor do they have to be monetized by brokers.

Owen