[arin-ppml] ARIN-2023-8 - Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 20 05:42:32 EDT 2024

My opinions inline:

> Questions for the Community:
> a. Do we keep working on this policy? (Y/N - #1, #2)

> b. If yes, should consideration be given for some formula or weighted method towards allocations to queue occupants? (#3, #4)

Reducing the maximum allocation might be acceptable, but I think it’s of questionable merit. Other alternatives introduce complexity and likely unintended consequences and I perceive very little (if any) likely benefit to such an approach. It might be possible to convince me otherwise with some specific approach, but I’d need the detailed policy language to evaluate it.

> c. If yes, is there a need to add a clause for dealing with existing waitlist occupants? (#4, #5)
> And if so, how should they be handled?

Yes, they should remain at the front of the queue until their requests are fulfilled and the new policy should not be retroactively applied to them.

> Note that if such a clause is determined for inclusion (#5), it will likely apply to ALL currently on the waitlist as at a specific point in time and they ALL would thus be subject to any such clause in the policy, once adopted.

Noted and a primary reason I am opposed to treating them in any way other than a complete grandfather under the existing terms.

Personally, I think this is a solution in search of a problem and should be abandoned.

Owen