[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-1: Definition of Organization ID/Org ID

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Feb 4 15:50:47 EST 2024

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 11:52 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Section 2.18 Organizational Identifier (Org ID)
>
> An Organizational Identifier (Org ID) is a record that represents a business, non-profit corporation, or government entity in the ARIN database. An entity must have an Organizational Identifier (Org ID) to request Internet Number Resources.

Is this intended to state a definition (section 2 is supposedly
definitions) or a requirement?

As a requirement, we should debate the merits of the definition versus
something simpler like, "represents a legal entity." It should also
clarify that government entities in Afghanistan may not be ARIN
organizations -- the entity should exist within the region ARIN
serves.

As a definition meant to help understand the rest of the document, the
text is counterfactual. There are a substantial number of org IDs in
the ARIN database which are none of these things.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin