[arin-ppml] Request for Feedback: Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8 Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

Roman Tatarnikov roman at intlos.org
Tue Aug 13 11:39:53 EDT 2024

I'm with David. And if I remember right, there was already a discussion
related to this months ago.

The key for a policy is to have a problem statement. While this policy says
that the "problem" is the allocations of huge chunks of IPs, it's not a real
problem because those "huge chunks" are not allocated as often. I understand
that we're trying to future-proof here, but a single in a blue moon allocation
only shows that the existing policy is working fine. As in, it required and
was very critical to justification for such a huge block. So it's not really a
problem - it did what it was designed to do, instead of just giving /16 to
anyone who asks without asking them any questions.

--
Roman V Tatarnikov | https://linkedin.com/in/rtatarnikov