[arin-ppml] AC candidates

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Aug 9 19:17:02 EDT 2024

On Fri, Aug 9, 2024 at 4:06 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2024, at 6:48 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> I think you mean 2009. The PDP was introduced in 2009 and modified in
>> 2013. For the first 12 years of ARIN's existence, the AC could suggest
>> improvements to proposal authors, but the authors were in charge.
>
> Not quite - from 2004 onwards, the ARIN AC put forth the changed version,
> but author was allowed (if they disagreed) to put theirs forward as well –

Not exactly. Like the text said: that was only if the AC determined
there was insufficient public support for the proposal as written by
the author. I don't recall many cases where two versions went to last
call as a result. There were some arguments when the AC abandoned
proposals for lack of clear support.

> (From the ARIN 2004 PDP

IRPEP. It wasn't called the PDP until 2009 when the AC was put firmly
in charge of writing the policy proposals, not just shepherding them
along.

https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/policy/archive/iprep_archive_20060328/

BTW, IRPEP is typoed in that URL.

Regards,