[arin-ppml] Making the Sausage (was: re: AC Candidate [...etc...] )

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 30 13:49:56 EDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 10:13 AM Leif Sawyer <lsawyer at gci.com> wrote:
> “I would encourage you to participate more in the policy discussions regarding
> the matters of the policies, attending meetings, speaking at the microphone,
> gathering community support for the policies that impact you as well as for your
> candidacy, and finally, and running for the AC.”

Been doing these things for a decade and a half Leif. I even ran for
the Board, and once gave a technical lightning talk up on stage. If
you didn't notice, that alone would suggest a disconnect between the
AC and the general public.

> It’s one thing comment from the outside looking in, but quite another to see
> things from the inside perspective.

Been down that road before too, when I worked as the Internet
Infrastructure Manager for the Democratic National Committee. And when
I left the role, unwilling to accept my boss' failure to manage his
conflict of interest. It's very easy for an insider to lose sight of
the important abstractions.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--