[arin-ppml] Should we disallow an AC member from submitting a policy proposal?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 27 21:01:26 EDT 2023

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 1:24 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> there was discussion during the PDP update
> of requiring that _all_ policy proposals initially start solely as a problem statement, and
> only after that problem statement had been discussed by the community would work
> on actual policy proposal text commence.
> That approach was deemed too restrictive

Hi John,

I agree that this would be burdensome on the public at large and
further reduce participation. I suggest it -only- as a step to be
taken for -AC members- proposing a policy. Because AC members operate
from a position of power within the policy development framework, the
extra step could help external folks get a word in edgewise before the
AC forms their initial views about a specific proposal in private
meetings.

I'm not wedded to the idea. I throw it out there as a suggestion.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin