[arin-ppml] AC candidates

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 21:23:38 EDT 2023

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 21:10 Jay Hennigan <jay at impulse.net> wrote:

> On 10/26/23 16:35, Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML wrote:
>
> > OK, but consider:
> >
> > Those allocating addresses to customers at a cloud provider — Same exact
> > issues.
> >
> > Those allocating addresses to internal usage at a CDN — Same exact
> > issues.
> >
> > My point is that there is nothing unique about the inherent COI here vs.
> virtually
> > any other class of user of ARIN services.
>
> I disagree. Those who are in the ISP, cloud provider or CDN business are
> in the business of putting the addresses to use to benefit the Internet
> community. Number resources are something that are needed for them to do
> business.
>
> Address brokers view number resources as a commodity to be bought, sold
> and arbitraged. They don't care about the Internet community. CIDR
> blocks could just as well be pork bellies or oil and gas futures as far
> as they are concerned. Address brokers fare better when number resources
> are scarce, as they're more valuable. The others you mentioned do better
> when the resources are plentiful.
>
> Do we want those that personally profit by addresses being scarce in
> charge of determining ARIN policy?

“Brokers” are aligned. They need a good community and policy to make
money.  Just like everyone else. Address brokerage is a real business like
CDN, cloud or ISPs..Their job is to put addresses to use which was the
purpose of the market.  Its taken awhile but it seems to work with little
(known) corruption. Having them on the board in 2023 would be very helpful
IMHO.

$0.02