[arin-ppml] AC candidates

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 26 14:23:15 EDT 2023

> On Oct 26, 2023, at 10:11, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML
> <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>> I don’t see working for an address broker as an inherent COI for an AC member
>
> Respectfully, this means you misunderstand the nature of Conflict of
> Interest. A conflict of interest is not inherently disqualifying. An
> impacted individual can, in fact, serve with distinction. But the
> conflict of interest must be managed. And for that to happen, it must
> first be -acknowledged- and understood.
>
> Suppose, for example, I were to be elected to the board. I am a legacy
> resource holder, personally, and I have outspoken and presumptively
> self-serving views about how ARIN should interact with legacy
> registrants like myself. That's a conflict of interest. Were I a board
> member, it would be appropriate for me to recuse myself from votes to
> materially change ARIN's interaction with legacy registrants.

Sure, but what does an address broker who is transferring addresses
in accordance with ARIN policies and acting as a legitimate facilitator
do that is an inherent COI?

Yes, there are possible policies that could come up that could materially
benefit such an organization. There are also policies that come up that
could materially benefit cloud providers, large ISPs, small ISPs, or just
about any other subgroup of ARIN members you’d like to identify.

I don’t see brokers as being inherently different from any other group of
ARIN constituents.

Owen