[arin-ppml] AC candidates

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 26 13:11:40 EDT 2023

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> I don’t see working for an address broker as an inherent COI for an AC member

Respectfully, this means you misunderstand the nature of Conflict of
Interest. A conflict of interest is not inherently disqualifying. An
impacted individual can, in fact, serve with distinction. But the
conflict of interest must be managed. And for that to happen, it must
first be -acknowledged- and understood.

Suppose, for example, I were to be elected to the board. I am a legacy
resource holder, personally, and I have outspoken and presumptively
self-serving views about how ARIN should interact with legacy
registrants like myself. That's a conflict of interest. Were I a board
member, it would be appropriate for me to recuse myself from votes to
materially change ARIN's interaction with legacy registrants.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin