[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-12: Direct Assignment Language Update

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 2 19:30:54 EDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> “Direct Allocation” is both well understood and encompasses how these address blocks are handled at the present time (and more accurate in many cases as a result of the evolution of the industry towards cloud and hosted service providers.)

Hi John,

Respectfully, you just had a chorus of people tell you they don't see
it that way. I'm not, for example, aware of any SWIP obligations I've
picked up due to ARIN restructuring its process. Nor am I aware of
holders of what were formerly allocations being released from their
SWIP obligations.

I have no dog in the fight as to what the word -should- be, but in my
view it -shouldn't- be allocation or assignment.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin