[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 8 18:16:30 EDT 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 3:05 PM Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2023, 22:19 William Herrin, <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> We are all aware that ISPs are generally LIRs and as such,
> their downstream endusers/customers often time get assigned
> small blocks like /24 based on need ontop of the connectivity
> services they are provided by the ISP.

Some also end up being the source of the IP addresses but only a small
source of the transit. Think: T1 and /24 from ISP A, gigabit ethernet
from ISP B. I haven't counted but there are at least hundreds of
these. I don't know how we write policy that disqualifies pretextual
leasing (like Owen was talking about) without also disqualifying these
longstanding and reasonable uses.

>> Historically, a few ISPs even allowed some customers to keep their IP
>> addresses when they left.
>
> Very few __and those IPs were transferred to those customers__ who then became resource members through the RIR process.

That is not accurate.

> Unused address ought to be returned back to the RIR inventory for further redistribution.

A quarter of a century of RIR experience suggests that mostly doesn't
happen. Hence the existence of a transfer market. Which does seem to
work.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--