[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon May 8 18:05:09 EDT 2023

On Mon, 8 May 2023, 22:19 William Herrin, <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 9:46 AM Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
> > Firstly, leasing should never be an option. Its an idea that the
> community has rejected the leasing IPv4 for a very long time and often led
> to mix reactions.
>
> Hi Noah,
>
> Never say never.

I say never because the RIR system has not failed. Its model has been
successful albeit with hicups yet it has stood the taste of time and the
last thing we want as a community is to attempt on inacting chaos as the
new normal.

The community has long permitted ISPs to authorize a
> customer to use their /24 with service from another vendors' network.

We are all aware that ISPs are generally LIRs and as such, their downstream
endusers/customers often time get assigned small blocks like /24 based on
need ontop of the connectivity services they are provided by the ISP.

When ISP customers churn, most ISP recover the assigned block back into the
LIR inventory for re-assigning to new customers and this is a known
practise.

Some ISP customers would endup becoming resource members of an RIR and
based on need get some IP space to number their infra...

Historically, a few ISPs even allowed some customers to keep their IP
> addresses when they left.

Very few and those IPs were transferred to those customers who then became
resource members through the RIR process.

Policy targeting IP-leasers should take care
> not to stomp on these longstanding and reasonable uses.
>
> This is why I suggested a policy which simply declares such addresses
> unused for justification purposes: a small amount of such activity by
> otherwise legitimate ISPs won't cause them a problem

Unused address ought to be returned back to the RIR inventory for further
redistribution.

but it'd block
> anybody from making a business model out of it.

Good...... and the RIR system and only the RIR must handle the management
and distribution based on need of IP resources and not a 3rd party entity
that the community does not even recognize.

IP Leasing undermines the foundation of the system that has served the
Internet community so well.

Any endorsement of such a practise will be setting a very dangerous
presidence if we attempt to ignore order in favour of an unregulated
practise and greed. There has to be a limit, a demarcation, as to how
internet number resources are managed and distributed.

Cheers,
Noah