[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon May 8 08:14:28 EDT 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 2:33 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You can only lease what you own.

Is there any such thing as ownership?... My understanding has always been
that resource members agreed to sign agreements with an RIR to become a
member so that they can be afforded INR based on need to use the number IP
based networks....

> What people are trying to do here is pretend they own the resources and
> earn money with an asset they don't own despite everything that what IP
> addresses have always meant for.

Its total chaos.

IP leasing is an attestation that the resource holder doesn't justify for
> those resources anymore, therefore they should be revoked and assigned to
> someone else who really justifies for it.

Capitalism decided otherwise.... the business model changed the day IP
brokers realised they could earn a living by seating in their couches,
running no useful IP based network and thereby undermining the community
based RIR system role and long standing objectives.

ARIN should use any financial and legal resources it has to invest in a
> efficient reclamation process in order to keep its missing to assign shared
> resources to those who really need them to build internet infrastructure,
> not do those who wish to speculate around IP space.

Well various IP based business models cropped from the community and
succeeded through the need based system.

The system ought to find itself and renew its bandwith and capacity if it
will be able to continue serving the community as it always did.

Noah