[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun May 7 16:45:29 EDT 2023

> Michael B. Williams wrote :
> Quite frankly, if this model were adopted with no waitlist, it would not be surprising if a venture
> capital fund came in and just started buying IP space to reduce supply and control the price.

They don’t need the suppression of the waiting list for that. Some people say that the spikes at $60 in 2021 were due to speculation, not to market dynamics. Hopefully someone speculating got hurt and the market has decreased for the last year. Eventually, the market will reach a more mature and stable state than it is now.

The way I see the waiting list is a lottery. Apply regardless you are innovating or not, if you have or not a legitimate need, and hope you win. The problem I have with it is that the crooks who want to make a quick buck are generally better at B.S. in terms of justification than the genuine innovator who would benefit from a cheap allocation from the waitlist. The other problem I have with it is that innovation is time sensitive; waiting only ensures that someone else will come up with the same idea, get serious with it, and secure the funding.

Michel