[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2023-2: /26 initial IPv4 allocation for IXPs

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Wed Jun 21 04:18:55 EDT 2023

It's clear this proposal did not receive feedback from those of us
who operate IXP's *(or those who lived through the ep.net <http://ep.net>
era).* Renumbering events are often multi-year efforts for an IXP, this
"savings" is not worth the operational overhead. I'm not in support of this
proposal. This is a solution looking for a problem, we have both the
appropriate pool size and a method to refill.

If anything, the 4.4 requirement language around *"other participants
(minimum of three total)" *could use some attention. ARIN's service region
has many "shadow IXP's", which may have 3 unique ASN's *(say a route
server, route collector, and management network) *- but are all operated by
the same organization. That does not seem like a legitimate definition of
an exchange point, especially when that operator is the only participant
over several years.

--Matt