[arin-ppml] Are we an ISP or an End-User? Can our designation change at a later time?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Jan 4 20:09:57 EST 2023

On Jan 4, 2023, at 2:32 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> However, since /48 is also the minimum Internet routable size,

Sorry, what?  Out of 172,457 IPv6 prefixes seen at AMSIX (according to routeviews) on 2023-01-01, counts of prefixes longer than 48:

49: 53
50: 9
51: 2
52: 41
54: 2
55: 1
56: 334
57: 1
58: 28
60: 5
61: 1
63: 3
64: 1309
112: 3
120: 9
123: 1
124: 6
125: 14
126: 107
127: 24
128: 102

As far as I know, there is no such thing as “the minimum Internet routable size”.  There is likely something that could be characterized as a probability function that describes the likelihood that a routing announcement will propagate that correlates with prefix length, but it is entirely dependent on local policy.

Regards,
-drc