[arin-ppml] Are we an ISP or an End-User? Can our designation change at a later time?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 4 17:32:15 EST 2023

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 11:52 AM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another thing that I wanted to understand better is the reasoning to allocate a significant smaller IPv6 block to a said end-user organization given it is not so scarce resource.

The standard size assignment to an end user is /48 per IETF
recommendation. That's 65,000 LANs, 2^80 IP addresses. Vanishingly few
end-user organizations actually have a need for more LANs than that.
However, since /48 is also the minimum Internet routable size,
end-user organizations with multiple independently-connected sites may
need several /48s. That's a minority of end-users but still a
significant number.

ISPs get a /32 so that, by default, they can assign 65,000 /48s to
their customers and still keep a few for themselves. That's the reason
they receive significantly more.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--