[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2023-8 - Clarification Request

Denis Motova dmotova at brcrude.com
Tue Dec 12 15:24:07 EST 2023

Heya Everyone:

I was reviewing the latest policies and changes and happened to see the aforementioned one. I was hoping for some clarification on the following text:

Needs more careful review for intersection with other elements of the NRPM. Need to be careful with existing list member treatment. I haven’t scanned the NRPM for other mentions of 4.18 that may need to be addressed. I think section 4 can be drastically simplified further with this change. My intention in requiring demonstrated need is avoidance of the situation at RIPE where every new entrant got an automatic allocation, which resulted in many new entities incorporated only to receive this allocation. I noted a serendipity in the number of waiting list entries (703) and the amount of entries that could have been met with a /24 cap (703) in John Sweeting’s ARIN 52 presentation. Current waitlist entrants should be grandfathered-in but their maximum allocation reduced to /24.

Does the above-mentioned mean that:

Everyone in the current waiting list will be reduced automatically down to a /24, even if you have already been on the waiting list for almost a year? I hardly think that cutting down the existing folks that are on the waiting list is fair? That would complicate people that are already organizing themselves for the extra IP space (outside of the /24).

Perhaps that statement should be revised to “NEW waitlist entrants should be grandfathered-in but their maximum allocation reduced to /24.”

Does anyone have an opinion on this?