[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 11 17:28:20 EST 2022

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:38 AM Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> I understand there are ways to effectively circumvent ARIN policy through legal relationships.

Hi Mike,

You misunderstand me. The legal relationship I described does not
circumvent ARIN policy. Rather the opposite - it brings your desired
use into compliance, both in letter and spirit. In the partnership
example, the actual user of the addresses must demonstrate their
qualification to ARIN before they can receive them. No different than
if they'd purchased them. As the address purchasing part of the
partnership, you don't contribute to qualification for the addresses
at all. And indeed, were you to reclaim and reassign the addresses
without forming a new partnership and going through ARIN again, the
addresses would no longer count as utilized under ARIN policy.

> But it's just simpler to create a thin VPN or to operate out of the RIPE RIR.

There's always something simpler that skirts the rules. At least until
you get caught.

RIPE's policy is RIPE's lookout. If you have what you want with RIPE,
why are you pestering ARIN?

While you can get away with a thin VPN here and there I think you'd be
risking ARIN finding your behavior pretextual, in bad-faith and
therefore fraudulent if you based a business on it.

For those who don't follow the reference - a thin VPN means that the
lessor provides the lessee with a VPN tunnel over which they're
permitted to advertise BGP. If the lessor advertises BGP via the
tunnel, that advertisement is propagated to the Internet and the
lessee is billed for the data usage in addition to the address lease.
The customer then goes and gets their *real* IP connectivity elsewhere
and ignores the VPN. It's not just thin, it's anorexic.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin