[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Fri Mar 11 13:38:26 EST 2022

Hi Bill,

I understand there are ways to effectively circumvent ARIN policy through legal relationships.
But it's just simpler to create a thin VPN or to operate out of the RIPE RIR.
My point is that ARIN policy doesn't prevent leasing, it only restricts lessors to incumbent holders and thwarts newcomers. And current policy doesn't seem to have broken anything.

You can't go to ARIN and simply predict you will have X customers within two years and receive transfer pre-approval. The same rules would apply here, the same initial block size and protections, everything in justification remaining the same as it is for those who used to be called ISPs. Except historically ISPs could use their SWIPed addresses to show utilization only if they were connected to their clients by a circuit. They still have to be real clients, they still have to deployed on an operating network, they will still be required to submit evidence of that to ARIN.

Regards,
Mike