[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Tom Fantacone tom at iptrading.com
Fri Mar 11 12:39:56 EST 2022

Bill,

If I run a network and qualify for an /18 right now, can I got to ARIN and lease one?   I must either buy one on the transfer market or lease one from a (non-ARIN) 3rd party.

Your analogy makes some sense regarding previously allocated IPv4 space, but we are in exhaust.  This policy would not have made sense when there was a free pool, but it excludes waiting list addresses and so covers that base.

Regards,

Tom Fantacone

---- On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:31:47 -0500 William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote ----

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 9:14 AM Tom Fantacone <mailto:tom at iptrading.com> wrote:
> Bill, regarding your point "B", by providing IPv4 leasing, these 3rd parties are certainly performing a function that ARIN does not.

Oh really? ARIN doesn't charge an annual fee to retain the IP address
assignment they've made? And they don't reclaim the addresses for use
by someone else should you fail to pay? Your "leasing" differs from
ARIN's only in that you charge much more money and perform
questionable diligence with respect to enforcing number policy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin