[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Jul 26 17:33:51 EDT 2022

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> To put it another way, if a former and now-defunct ARIN member falls in
> the forrest,
> and if there is no requirement to make any changes in the associated
> public-facing
> WHOIS record(s) after the dead company's membership and resources are
> reassigned to
> some successor entity, then how would anyone outside of ARIN even know
> that any actual
> reassignment had taken place?

Ron,

Why would ARIN be the place to track changes of ownership of corporate
entities?

If Elon Musk, for example, were to buy Twitter for $44B, would anyone at
all expect
ARIN records to reflect the change in ownership?

Sure, you can look to SEC records to see the change in ownership; it's not
secret; but it's not something that's on ARIN's head to track.

Similarly, when GlobalCrossing was bought by Level3, there was no
sudden requirement that every record within ARIN that used to say
"GlobalCrossing" now say "Level3" (I mean Qwest) (no wait, I mean
CenturyLink) (shoot, no, now I mean Lumen).

Nowhere does the NRPM say that ARINs records must change
when the name or owner of a company changes.  It does require
that POCs be current and updated, and if the previous owner of
an entity is no longer the right POC, I would expect to see an updated
set of POCs for the entity after the change of ownership, but that
would be the extent to which ARIN's publicly visible records would
need to change.

(You can verify this for yourself by searching through ARIN whois
records for "global crossing", "Level 3", etc. to see that there has
been no requirement that records be immediately updated to show
that ownership and control has changed.)

Matt