[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jul 25 16:28:16 EDT 2022

In message <CAP-guGXZo6y0jzpZrTvQLQ7x6-cgnT4DSSzyMNr2kJCKo-rTDQ at mail.gmail.com>,
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>John can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, ARIN has NEVER
>reclaimed legacy resources which were neither voluntarily returned nor
>then operating under a specific registrant contract with ARIN (such as
>the LRSA).
>
>John will claim that ARIN has that authority regardless. Such a claim
>is dubious at best. Without a contract it's unclear from whence such
>authority would arise. Without such authority, ARIN could find itself
>running afoul of the law. For example, a legacy registrant could claim
>tortious interference with its contract with an ISP should ARIN act to
>reassign the legacy addresses without permission.

Anybody can claim anything in court.  Believe me I know.  Having a claim
hold up to close scrutiny is however a rather different matter, as at
least one chief executive well known to all found out not long ago...
about 60 times in a row.

In any case, I personally disagree with the above legal anaylsis, and
I personally believe that ARIN has no legally enforcable obligations to
any party that it has no explicit contract with.  That having been said,
at the moment my personal concerns relate only to non-legacy members and
resources, so I shall endeavor to confine myself to commenting only on
that rather separate and different topic.

Regards,
rfg