[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jul 18 09:17:52 EDT 2022

In message <CAEmG1=roZyD-osK7wX9CE1gEf4kdMR73RU0O-U7fRfHR+VH_Ng at mail.gmail.com>
Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

>Shareholders?    Seriously?
>
>*facepalm*
>
>That's never going to work.
>How would you even begin to identify all million-plus shareholders of
>Facebook?

It is clear to me that you have never looked a the web site of the UK's
CompaniesHouse or any of its beneficial owner information.

You may want to try doing that someday.

>You generally do good work, Ronald--but I don't think you thought this one
>through very carefully first.  ^_^;;

In the UK, it is not required to disclose beneficial ownership information
for either (a) publicly traded corporations or else (b) corportate entities
where no single shareholder owns 25% of more of the stock.

Their system seems to have been reasonably well thought out and although it
has its critics, it worksm and it does provide a geat deal more transparency
than the absolutely nothing that preceeded it.

ARIN and all of the RIRs could and should follow suit and mirror what the UK
is now doing by way of corporate transparency.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Note that as a result of 5AML, most other EU countries either are
already providing this same "beneficial ownership" information, or will
be doing so in the near future.

The days of criminals being able to hide behind shell companies are ending.
They should not be allowed to hide behind the five RIRs either, even though
some clearly are doing that, right now, as we speak.