[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 7 18:06:37 EDT 2022

On 7 Jul 2022, at 5:22 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com<mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:
It seems safe to assume that there have historically been some instances in
which ARIN memberships have been terminated, and any associated assigned
number resources reclaimed, if and when a given member has simply failed
to pay fess due to ARIN.

Yes - This does occur with ARIN-region number resources, although we provide
significant opportunity for parties to cure such situations –
<https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/returns/>

My questions however have to do with situations
where policy violations other than the non-payment of fees are involved.
Specifically, I would like to know if any of you can recall past instances
where number resources have been reclaimed, by ARIN, for any of the following
reasons:

   *)  Usage of the assigned number resources was no longer consistant with
       the original justification submitted to ARIN.

To my knowledge this has only occurred in the ARIN registry when the original request to
ARIN was actually fraudulent in nature (as opposed to bona fide requests at the time but
since overtaken by events.)

   *)  Violation(s) of out-of-region usage policy.

Such has not to my knowledge (and quite unlikely to occur, as "ARIN registered resources may be used
outside the ARIN service region.”<https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/nrpm/#9-out-of-region-use>

   *)  Any other policy violations.

Yes, revocations can occur for violations of the ARIN’s number resource policy manual (NRPM)) for any
resource in the ARIN registry) and/or violations of one’s registration services agreement, if applicable.

(I would note in particular that NRPM section 12 "Resource Review” requires cooperation with any request
from ARIN for reasonable related documentation, and failure to comply with policy can result in revocation.
 <https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/nrpm/#12-resource-review>)

I hope this information is helpful to your number resource policy efforts,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers