[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Jul 7 17:22:25 EDT 2022

Greetings all,

As many of you no doubt know, there has been quite an extraordinarily large
brouhaha of late within the AFRINIC region relating to AFRINIC's efforts to
reclaim certain large blocks of IPv4 addresses from one particular member
organization.  This effort has resulted in considerable litigation within
Mauritius, the home country of AFRINIC.

Partially as a result of this ongoing controversy, but also just for my
own edification, I would like to ask a number of questions about any and
all prior instances in which ARIN has reclaimed number resources from
member organizations, based on policy.

It seems safe to assume that there have historically been some instances in
which ARIN memberships have been terminated, and any associated assigned
number resources reclaimed, if and when a given member has simply failed
to pay fess due to ARIN.  My questions however have to do with situations
where policy violations other than the non-payment of fees are involved.
Specifically, I would like to know if any of you can recall past instances
where number resources have been reclaimed, by ARIN, for any of the following
reasons:

    *)  Usage of the assigned number resources was no longer consistant with
        the original justification submitted to ARIN.

    *)  Violation(s) of out-of-region usage policy.

    *)  Any other policy violations.

I should perhaps stipulate in advance that I am well and truly aware of the
rather convoluted story of Micfo, Inc. and its proprietor, and that my
(naive?) assmption is that all relevant number resources have by now been
reclaimed by ARIN for the simple reason that there was outright and proven
fraud in that case.  I am not particularly interested in such cases at the
moment, but I do wish to learn only about prior instances in which number
resources were reclaimed by ARIN for any of the more mundane reasons listed
above.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Regards,
rfg