[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2022-9: Leasing Not Intended

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:17:02 EDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:

> On 18 August 2022, the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) accepted "ARIN-prop-308:
> Leasing Not Intended" as a Draft Policy.
>

> Draft Policy ARIN-2022-9 is below and can be found at:
>

> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2022_9/
>

> You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will
> evaluate the discussion to assess the conformance of this draft policy with
> ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as stated in the
> Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these principles are:
>

> * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
>
> * Technically Sound
>
> * Supported by the Community
>

> The PDP can be found at:
>

> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/
>

> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/
>

> Regards,
>

> Sean Hopkins
>
> Senior Policy Analyst
>
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>

> Draft Policy ARIN-2022-9: Leasing Not Intended
>

> Problem Statement:
>

> “IPv6 Policy (section 6.4.1.) explicitly mention that address space is not
> a property. This is also stated in the RSA (section 7.) for all the
> Internet Number Resources.

[ .. ]

> However, with the spirit of the IPv4 allocation policies being the same,
> there is not an equivalent text for IPv4, neither for ASNs.

It would probably be smarter to remove 6.41 to eliminate confusion with
section 7 of the RSA. If I were a lawyer, I'm not but I pay them a lot of
money, I might argue that Section 5 is relevant since its explicit in 6.4.1
but not for v4 and then referenced in the RSA.

I don't really care one way or the other so neither for or against. This
impacts none of us in any measurable way at all.

YMMV,

-M<