[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 10 16:52:07 EDT 2022

> On 9 Aug 2022, at 5:09 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
> In message <69ED05B4-AFC0-48EA-B466-417B2DAB4352 at arin.net>,
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>>   From where I am sitting, and based on my substantial knowledge of ARIN's past actions,
>>   your answer sounds an awful lot like "No, we're not going to do that.  We have better
>>   things to do."
>>
>> Actually, my meaning is absolutely clear based on plain language usage -
>> We _will_ endeavor to look into such situations and correct where possible
>
> Great!  When?
>
> In October of 2020, a spokesperson for ARIN was quoted by journalist Brian Krebs as
> saying that the matter of the long-ago dissolution of Centauri Communications
> (CENTA-3) would be investigated:
>
>   https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/10/the-now-defunct-firms-behind-8chan-qanon/
>
> It is now August, 2022, and the evidence of ARIN's commitment to investigating such cases
> (or rather, the utter lack thereof) is now crystal clear and evident for all to see.  A
> full 21 months later and the ARIN staff has done absolutely nothing to either investigate
> or action this case in any way.
>
> This isn't ambiguous.  We have the reciepts.  ARIN was informed.  ARIN said it would
> investigate.  ARIN did nothing.  ARIN lied.

Incorrect.

> And yet here you are, repeating the lie yet again, and still falsely claiming that ARIN
> "_will_ endeavor to look into such situations and correct where possible".
>
> The problem is that ARIN won't.  The evidence is clear.  ARIN just won't.

ARIN did investigate - see below.

> (I was wrong in my prior email to suggest that ARIN would give a low priority to the task
> of reclaiming number resources from dead companies.  In fact, the evidence is clear that
> ARIN has given and will give this effort ZERO priority... or maybe even a negative
> priority.)
>
>>   And finally, could you please explain, John, how your reluctance to reclaim those
>>   valuable IPv4 assets from dissolved and now non-existant corporate entities comports
>>   with ARIN's basic mission to be good shepherds of ARIN's finite and limited resources?
>>   Because I'm not seeing it.
>>

>> There's no reluctance on ARIN's part to researching any reports submitted and taking
>> appropriate action - including "reclaim(ing)  those valuable IPv4 assets from dissolved
>> and now non-existant corporate entities"
>
> You are prevaricating John, and the facts regarding Centauri Communications demonstrate
> otherwise.  ARIN was informed about this case over 21 months ago, and an ARIN spokesperson
> at that time confirmed to Brian Krebs that this case would be investigated.  However as
> anybody who knows how to use the ARIN WHOIS server can plainly see, absolutely nothing
> has changed with respect to this long-dead entity and/or the several IPv4 blocks that
> were and are registered to it (and that are now being squatted on by _somebody_) in all
> of the past 21 months.
>
> I remind you also that official California State records indicate that this company has
> been dead and dissolved for TEN YEARS.
>
> Would you care to explain John?

Please note that the company in question is _suspended_ not dissolved.  As previously
noted, there is a significant difference – ARIN does not act against organizations solely
on the basis of their corporate status being suspended, as it can easily be the result of
tax filing delay, etc.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran