[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Aug 8 22:18:20 EDT 2022

On 8/8/2022 6:24 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> On 8/8/22 16:11, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> LargeCo that has an /8 cannot go to an ISP like, for example, Comcast
>> and request so much as a /29 from Comcast's own pool to stick on the
>> outside of a network address translator UNLESS they justify
>> utilization of that /8
>
> Sure they can. What's stopping them? Their cash spends just the same as
> that of any other Comcast customer.

Read the NRPM.  Comcast is required to justify utilization to ARIN for
the IP they hand out.  If they are handing out IP to an org that has a
massive amount and is acting like a jackhole and claiming some
untraconservative Trumpian attitude of "f off I can do what I want"
then ARIN can tell Comcast "sorry but no more IPv4 for you, you are in
violation of your signed agreements"

Does this happen in practice?  I doubt it since a /29 is small enough to
fly under the radar.  But the agreements are pretty clear that ARIN can
hold up any sort of transfer or whatever that would increase Comcast's
amount of IPv4 if Comcast is not meeting utilization requirements for
the IP they have, which would include that /29.

> I don't think there's anything in Comcast's or any other ISP's contract
> language requiring customers to affirm that they aren't sitting on large
> blocks of legacy IPv4 space before they'll provide IPs to you.

Actually yes there is.  When I last connected my own block (the IP that
this email is originating from you can look it up if you want) to
Comcast using a /28 I absolutely had to provide justification for
utilization.

I would have be lying to Comcast when filling out the utilization form
if I had a /8 sitting around unused.  That could be used by Comcast to
void my agreement with Comcast.  And for sure if ARIN came to Comcast
and said "why are you giving those jackholes MORE numbers they have an
/8 already"  (translation, Jump) I assure you, Comcast would say back to
ARIN "how high"

I can't speak for what other ISPs do but I doubt they are just going to
hand out IPs without requiring utilization justification.

> And, as a practical matter, if some remote AT&T office far from AT&T
> infrastructure needs a /29, how do you propose that Comcast route a /29
> originating in AT&T's 12/8 to that remote facility?

Consider that Comcast already does this for IPv6, yes.  When I use
DHCP-PD to register an IPv6 block in my Comcast modem their modem starts
announcing it into their network.  It's iBGP not eBGP.  They only have
to announce the /8 via eBGP.  And this is a tiny tiny block.

>> So no, you are NOT correct.  It IS ARIN's business what you are doing
>> with your large legacy block.
>
> If you haven't signed an LRSA, how is it any of ARIN's business what you
> do with your legacy block?

It isn't as long as you are not connecting to the Internet.  But that
wasn't what I was talking about.  Pay attention, 007.

Ted