[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Aug 7 02:51:01 EDT 2022

In message <1488039433.20658.1659838764951.JavaMail.zimbra at cameron.net>,
Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

>He did say heirs/successors had rights in probate.
>I asked him to repeat that and he did.

Of course heirs and successors have rights in probate!  However if John had
mistakenly asserted that the heirs and successors of any party that had ever
signed Version 12.0 (or 11.0 or 10.2 or 10.1, or 10.0) of the RSA have
_any_ rights with respect to the number resources that were assigned to
that (now dead) person or company, then I would urge John, and indeed
everyone with a serious interest in these matters to re-read Section 7
and also Section 10(c) of Version 12.0 of the RSA/LRSA.  Because those
sections are quite clear.  ARIN-issued number resources are explicitly
NOT property and also are explicitly NOT a part of any bankruptcy estate.
Thus they MAY NOT be inherited by a heir, successor, or assign.  Period.
Full stop.  It's in the contract.

I suspect that if John said anything about "inheriting" rights to number
resources, then he was most likely only refering to those (legacy) resources
for which no RSA or LRSA had even been entered into.

In short, rights to legacy resources may be inherited by heirs, successors,
and assigns.  In contrast, rights to non-legacy resources (where a previously
signed RSA or LRSA does exist) MAY NOT be inherited by an heir, successor,
or assign.

Regards,
rfg