[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Aug 7 02:25:32 EDT 2022

In message <DM6PR15MB3864CB5AAA6EF1A29877EDC389619 at DM6PR15MB3864.namprd15.prod.
outlook.com>, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:

>The many posts to the PPML reflect your desire to somehow reclaim Legacy
>IPv4 space that isn't being used or space that might have been acquired
>in a way that is deemed unethical or possibly worse.

Who exactly are you responding to?  Me?  If so, I will clarify yet again
that *I* have not expressed any "desire to somehow reclaim Legacy IPv4 space".
Somebody else in this thread may have expressed such a desire, but not me.

I have been consistant, I think, in expressing a desire only to see ARIN
staff reclaim number resources that remain assigned to legal entities that
have ceased to exist.  Some of those number resources are legacy rsources,
but many (most?) of them are actually non-legacy resorces.  (The example
that I put forward here was of a set of non-legacy resources that remain
assigned to what is clearly a long-dead company.)

Indeed, I have gone out of my way to make it clear that I have less than
zero desire to have ARIN staff perform any reclamation specifically on
or against legacy resources UNLESS the resources involved are assigned
to demonstratably defunct corporate registrants.

>ARIN has to treat all legacy holders the same whether they were Class A
>or Class B or Class C

No, it doesn't.  If the "holder" no longer exists, legally speaking, then
ARIN can reclaim the associated number resources.  (But I do agree with
you that the _size_ of the resources involved is totally irrelevant.)

Regards,
rfg