[arin-ppml] The annual limit on total maintenance fees for legacy number resources under the ARIN fee schedule

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Fri Apr 15 02:47:13 EDT 2022

Honestly, the simple adoption of IPv6 in CPE provided by major ISP's, as
well as the already in place adoption of IPv6 in major operating systems,
along with the adding of AAAA records by many of the top destinations on
the internet has done more to drive traffic to travel via IPv6 than any
other single factor.

Comcast started a lot of this, simply because their private network space
use exceeded the amount available.  Other than the IPv4 addresses on their
CPE, I think that 99% of their network is already IPv6 only, especially
their internal assets like set top boxes.  Others like Charter and AT&T
have recently added IPv6 to their CPE as well.

On the other side of the connection, major destinations like Google,
Microsoft and even Netflix have added AAAA's to their network, allowing
all this recent CPE to start to connect most of their traffic via IPv6.

The "Silent Upgrade" is what is currently driving the traffic shift toward
IPv6 on a lot of networks.  Most customers do not care or know what
protocol is delivering their bits, they just want them to arrive.

Eventually market forces, especially in places with shortages of IPv4
addresses and CGnat will eventually get operators to charge extra for
access to IPv4, because of the extra cost of CGnat and CALEA logging
costs. DOCSYS 3+ require IPv6 as well as 4G+ mobile networks, which will
also push more traffic toward IPv6.  These factors also tend to make IPv6
faster for these users due to lack of CGnat, which will further drive more
content providers to provide native IPv6 for speed reasons.

I think we will eventually get to an IPv6 dominant network, but I am sure
also it will not happen until well after my retirement.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.