[arin-ppml] Proposal to ban Leasing of IP Addresses in the ARIN region

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Sep 22 12:49:33 EDT 2021

> Owen DeLong wrote :
> Policy Proposal Name: Ban IP Number Resource Leasing in the ARIN Region

Besides the scope and similar issues :

In utopia, I would support this.
But in the real world, it's not realistic. ARIN would not be able to enforce such thing, and it may be a double-edge sword.

Besides the point, let's assume that, beating impossible odds, we manage to amend the US constitution to ban IP leasing in the US.
[Let's conveniently forget that it would be opposed by powerful companies with very deep pockets that own half of the lobbyists in town]

Would it stop it ? no. We would instantly create a black market and make a modern-day Al Capone.

Michel.