[arin-ppml] Why are v4 and ASN transfers so cheap? Was: Re: {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:32:52 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:43 PM Michel Py <
michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

> > Martin Hannigan wrote :
> > Considering the importance of the transfer market, how much of our time
> it takes up and
> > the fact that the only people getting addresses these days (in volume)
> are using the
> > transfer market there should be a strong argument for a much greater fee
> recovery and
> > community subsidy than what I'm currently reading. Of course, I can be
> reading it all wrong.
>
> Right, let's make ARIN another shark in the transfer business.
> Hey, by leveraging pennies on each transferred IP, everyone else would
> have ARIN services for free because ARIN could live just of transfer fees.
> Why not tax the air you breathe, or each individual email address ? would
> make a lot of money too.

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. There are multiple internet
NGO models that use transactional cost recovery to sustain themselves. ARIN
does too. Transfer and registration fees for STLS ``providers" are an
example. The lumpiness of the increases there show it's already a topic
that has eyes on it. I'd like to encourage ARIN to do _more_ to recover
costs from transfers including all associated automation, software
development, legal time, registration services desk time, cloud costs,
community time, and anything else that we put into making the transfer
market work. By subsidy I mean enough fair value that truly represents the
value that we bring to the transfer market. If the market were actually
providing funds for v6 transition it may not be an interesting topic.
However, and by your own words, that is not the case. Fair could be a lot
more. It could be the same. I'm merely pointing at it in the fee discussion
and saying "whats up with that?".

Warm regards,

-M<