[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 19 13:15:23 EDT 2021

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 06:32 , Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 12:33 AM Steve Noble <snoble at sonn.com <mailto:snoble at sonn.com>> wrote:
> Since they are a non-profit, they could also cut executive salaries. As of 2019, John was being paid over $546,000 to respond to posts on mailing lists.
>
> https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/541860956 <https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/541860956>
> Key Employees and Officers	Compensation
> JOHN CURRAN (CEO AND PRESIDENT)	$546,029
> RICHARD JIMMERSON (COO)	$347,120
> JOHN SWEETING (SR. DIRECTOR, RSD)	$279,352
> MARK KOSTERS (CTO)	$276,796
>

> I am tempted to throw gasoline on this fire. However, that isn't productive, nor is this, in light of a serious concern related to the fee structure. Is hare that concern as well.
>
> If we want good people? We pay. For most of these positions and salaries pay is well below career positions that most of these folks could easily obtain in the industries we/ARIN serves. Nobody is getting rich working at ARIN. John Curran is the face of the organization and it's his job to answer these questions. It may not be his job to answer _every_ question, but speaking for myself: I have zero issue with his pay and duties.
>
> Fees are ultimately the board's responsibility: https://www.arin.net/about/welcome/board/ <https://www.arin.net/about/welcome/board/>
>
> Warm regards,

FWIW, as much as John and I disagree about the fee structure, I do agree with Marty here. John does an excellent job doing what he does for ARIN and the
salary he is receiving is probably a substantial pay cut from some of his previous endeavors. I have no issue with any of the people above receiving the
salaries that they do from ARIN on the same basis described above by Marty.

Owen