[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Mon Sep 20 08:34:32 EDT 2021

I have been running dual stack since 2007. Not only do I like to try out
the new technology, but as a Federal Contractor, there has been a
requirement for all networks that interconnect with the Feds to have IPv6
in place.  They have also had a purchase requirement for technology that
all new purchases of network equipment must also be able to run IPv6.

Somewhere around 5 years ago, enough internet resources have AAAA records
to the point that now more than half of my total traffic goes via IPv6. It
is also faster than IPv4, since I do not have to NAT IPv6.

I keep hearing from those who do not want IPv6, that it is a failed
protocol.  However, since IPv6 is the protocol that carries over 1/2 of my
internet traffic, I would have to strongly disagree.

I do agree that the community does not yet appear willing to impose an
IPv6 requirement in any form.  I tried writing a proposal to require those
who were receiving transfered IPv4 resources to have IPv6 in place, unless
it was not possible to receive IPv6 from their upstream.

Based on the responses, as of about 3 years ago, it seems evenly divided
as to that proposal, which would have applied ONLY to those receiving
transfered IPv4 resources.

During this discussion, Michel appears to be one of the few that is so
strongly opposed to IPv6, that he is against ARIN having any policy to
promote IPv6.  This appears to include the current policy for those with
an RSA to only charge for the larger of the IPv4 and IPv6 holdings.

Just wondering if there are others that are so opposed to promoting IPv6?
Been thinking of bringing out the proposal again, and see if it will come
closer to passage.

I always hear that IPv6 is a failure.  A protocol that is the majority
protocol on a dual stack network does not in any way seem to be a failure
to me.  I would love to hear the exact reasons why IPv6 is felt to be a
failure.

Lack of address space in IPv4 is a problem that can never be solved with
IPv4.  IPv6, with its onc size LAN design and end-to-end design is so much
easier to bring new technologies to, and I fail to understand other than a
desire to remain in the past, WHY so many people are so much against it.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.