[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 20 07:51:17 EDT 2021

On 19 Sep 2021, at 9:52 PM, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us<mailto:michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us>> wrote:
John Curran wrote :
Michel - Organizations with a registration services plan don’t pay any separate ASN maintenance fees so your
previous total of $300 annually ($150 for the /24 + $150 for ASN maintenance) will now be $250 annually in total.

I probably missed something, but the registration services plan did not make sense to me earlier. When I added it up, it was cheaper to pay separately.

Michel -

An end-user organization with a /24 IPv4 block, /48 IPv6 block, and an ASN previously would have paid $150 registry maintenance for each of those registry objects (i.e. total $450/year) –

Annual maintenance fees are $150 USD for each IPv4 address block, $150 USD for each IPv6 address block, and $150 USD for each ASN assigned to the organization.

(If you only had an IPv4 /24 address block and an ASN, then it would be two objects and $300/year total maintenance fees.)

In 2022, end-user organizations are paying per the Registration Services Plan schedule, based on the larger of total block size of the IPv4 or IPv6 resource holdings.  This means that any organization currently with IPv4 may obtain some IPv6 address space without their fees changing.

In 2022, an end-user organization with a /24 IPv4 block, /48 IPv6 block, and a single ASN would pay based on the "3X-Small” category at $250/year (and the same amount if they only had the IPv4 /24 address block and the single ASN and no IPv6.)

If you have any questions, you can log into ARIN Online and view your 2022 fees under the new schedule.

(Note that you can even add a small IPv6 block to that and still not see any annual fee change...)

Nice try, but I'm not falling for it. As I said earlier, I don't think that ARIN should be in the business of incentives to deploy IPv6.

ARIN’s registry services reflect the state of the community by both facilitating and encouraging IPv6 deployment – but there is no requirement for IPv6 deployment.  If community-developed registry policy changes in the future to require IPv6 deployment in some manner, then ARIN will enforce such requirements, but again, no overall requirement to deploy IPv6 exists at the present time.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO