[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 17 23:28:00 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 8:26 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2021, at 10:57 , David Farmer via ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> wrote:
>
> The lines between what is an end-user and what is an ISP are getting very
> blurry these days. Is there really a difference between a data center, a
> university campus network, an enterprise network, and a small ISP each with
> a /20?
>

> The use of the term ISP is what makes them blurry… s/ISP/LIR/ and it gets
> a lot simpler.
>
> Are you running an IP registry where you assign and/or allocate addresses
> to external downstream organizations? YES-> LIR… NO-> End User.
>
> Pretty much that simple.

It ain’t really that simple, I wish it was.

So some small ISPs, especially WISPs, may not actually SWIP any customers,
because they don't assign any customers a /29, they just DHCP
individual addresses to customers, or they may even NAT their customers.
Are they an end-user since they don't SWIP, or an LIR because they are an
ISP and sell connectivity?

Data centers, run similarly, some do SWIPs and some don’t. Why is it fair
the data center that SWIPs gets one rate and the one that doesn’t gets a
lower rate, sometimes an order of magnitude lower? They mostly are in the
same business, and both usually sell connectivity, why different rates?

Why should an enterprise with a few thousand employees get one rate and an
ISP with the same number of customers have a much higher rate? Are there
networks that much different?  Furthermore, an enterprise with a few
thousand employees probably has many times the revenue, than the ISP with
the same numbers of customers.

And, you’ve been advocating for address leasing lately, so LIRs/ISPs, and
maybe data centers, get to monetize their addresses, but enterprises can’t?
The more addresses are monetized the blurrier the lines get.

Further, I’m not sure there ever was that much of a difference in the
burden on ARIN, between ISPs and similar sized end-users.

Personally, my biggest regret is ARIN didn’t give end-users more than a
full years notice to ensure the increases could have been properly put into
budgets, and maybe a multi-year phase-in for the largest increases.

Nevertheless, it really isn’t as simple as you want to make it.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952