[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Tue Sep 14 03:44:58 EDT 2021

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> The thing that's so incredible about IPv6 wasn't that it was thought up
> and built and works.  It was that it was thought up and built and worked
> decades before we ran out of assignable IPv4 and really needed it.
> Usually inventions like it are the result of a madcap crash at the
> last minute and thrown together.
>

> Ted

Since IPv6 is essentially just a re-implementation of IPv4 with larger
address fields (or should have been) I dont find it all that incredible.
Its such a better example of second system effect than the original that
the book needs to be rewritten.

Whats incredible is that they built a protocol to rescue the internet
from address scarcity which wasnt designed to be able to actually do
such in any meaningful way for yet more decades to come.

Joe