[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Sep 13 18:43:56 EDT 2021

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Sep 13, 2021, at 14:54 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
>>

>> Strongly disagree in yet additional government intrusion into private market, the individuals right to choose what to build sell or purchase is part of your freedom to live how you choose. Dont take it for granted.
> I’m confused… If the government stops buying from suppliers who don’t meet this criteria, how is that intrusion into a private market?
>
> The individual (or company) in question is still absolutely free to do as they wish. However, they forego receiving government business if they choose not to implement IPv6.
>
> That’s capitalism at its finest. The government wants a certain behavior and it votes with its dollars to patronize the companies that behave accordingly?
>
> Isn’t this how things are supposed to work?

Apparently I misread what you wrote to apply to the broad public. As
pointed out, government contracts do already contain these sort of
provisions and we have seen their effectiveness.

>> Not opposed. However, in reality, this just becomes a checkbox the likes we have seen before, and it costs money that might have been better spent elsewhere, like in actually delivering broadband.
> Well… All the USF money poured into that so far hasn’t managed it, so we might as well have it provide something useful, like IPv6 progress in the process.
>
>> There is only one effective and acceptable approach to deploying IPv6 any quicker than is happening now, and that is to focus on providing tangible benefit to its users now, today.
> I’m already getting tangible benefit from having IPv6 today. Since that’s already being done, I think you’ll have to come up with a better answer.
>
> Owen

I am curious, what exactly is the benefit to you, who has plenty of IPv4
(not that I mind)? Other than the educational, the emotional or resume
padding?

Which protocols or network destination are now communicable in any
improved fashion?

Joe