[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Sep 13 14:46:45 EDT 2021

On 9/13/2021 11:15 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:

>> I want to include them. The IPv6 detractors don't. Which camp are you
>> in? the inclusive one or the non-inclusive one?
>>
>> Ted
>
> Neither. I am pointing out to you that your efforts are wasted and
> useless and wont help the very users you wish to.

Which is incorrect.

> If you actually want to help them, find them some IPv4 to tide them over
> until the party finally moves on. Unless you are ideologically opposed
> to that.

Helping them to find IPv4 just kicks the can down the road a bit more.
They get their IP, people like you say "look the problem magically
disappeared let's talk about something else"

Until the next group comes along and there's not enough IPv4 for them
and then the argument starts all over again.

> Which is where we began.

And your goal is to stay there, beginning over and over and over and
over again, never advancing, until you die of old age or retire and it
then becomes someone else's problem.

IPv6 deployment has been fought over for the last 20 years I can recall.
People were telling you and people like you to start pushing it 20 years
ago.  But you and people like you elected to go down esoteric
rabbitholes like NAT and God-knows-what-else to keep things going on
IPv4.  Every time we ran out of IPv4 folks like you would pull another
rabbit out of the hat and say "see, we helped someone find IPv4 so the
problem doesn't exist anymore"

Now people are trying the "manipulate regulations and take IPv4 away
from people" rabbit-in-hat trick so you can say "see, problem fixed"

Just because kicking people's asses to get IPv6 deployed isn't going to
help someone who doesn't have IP4 RIGHT NOW doesn't mean it's a wasted
effort like you claim.

If everyone took the easy immediate solution for every problem then
you end up out of control of the road you are going down.

The United States tried this with Nuclear Power in the 60's and 70s.
They knew fossil fuel was running out, and renewables would be years
away.  So they ran down the Nuclear hole assuming the Magik Fairies
wot float in the sky would make that nasty waste just all go away.
Thankfully enough people weren't like you and so brought all that to
a halt.  Japan wasn't so lucky so they got Fukishema.  Russia got
Chernobyl.  Those were the wakeup calls to kill Nuclear Power in
those countries.

Today we generate more power from renewables than all of the nuclear
plants put together.

I'm not sure what the "3 mile island of IP address assignment" is going
to be but the idea behind kicking people's asses to get IPv6 deployed
is to avoid it.

50 or 100 years from now when IPv4 is gone, the people then are going to
be remembering me as someone who pushed for the future they have then,
they will be remembering you as someone who fought and delayed getting
to the future they have then.  I don't have a problem with that and I
hope for your sake you don't either.

Ted