[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Sep 13 14:00:02 EDT 2021

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> I am with you on this. Yes. its theoretically "irresponsible" but that
>> is no justification to be high handed.
>

> It IS NOT irresponsible of me to keep my yard in an urban area.
Apparently I did not quite express myself correctly enough, I meant to
highlight that it is only theoretically irresponsible, in the sense that
we would not condone that action now.

I do not believe that actors in good faith should be penalized at any
later date for their quite appropriate and responsible activity in the
context of the time it was done. I am proudly unwoke.

However, to carry the analogy further, should you then wish to
capitalize and perform your own subdivision, I would fully expect
current zoning and regulation to be applied, as well as tax re-evaluation.

And that would also be fair, appropriate and responsible.

> But, there IS NOT mountains of empty IPv4 a few miles away. Unlike your
> urban yard analogy IT _IS_ IRRESPONSIBLE and LAZY to not dual-stack
> your servers and your network.
>
> As for NAT overload vs dual stack, anyone new to the game is going to
> be forced into deploying a lot of NAT overloading to carry the lazy
> buggers who aren't dual-stacking.
>
> Ted

Put any other way, you are calling lazy people whom do not put in the
effort to make your use of IPv6 more rewarding for you.

I cant agree with that characterization. In fact its sort of the
reverse. You are the lazy one, expecting the rest of the network to
implement all the plumbing to satisfy your needs and priorities over theirs.

Joe